The Metal Detecting Permit You Need to go Metal Detecting in WA is a Miners Right!

There is no such animal as a metal detecting permit in WA.

What you need is a MINERS RIGHT, this is simple to obtain, costs very little (currently $28 as at 1 July 2020), and lasts you for life.

Metal Detecting Permit

What Does a Miners Right (Metal Detecting Permit) Allow you to do?

A Miners Right enables you to go prospecting which is in fact a "Metal Detecting Permit" in Western Australia on;

Crown Land - which is;

  • Pastoral Lease Land - not covered by a granted mining tenement. Prior notice must be given to the Pastoralist.
  • Unallocated Crown Land not covered by a granted mining tenement.
  • Crown Land the which is subject to a lease for grazing and timber that is not covered by a granted mining tenement.
  • Land Reserved for the Purpose of common, mining and public utility.
  • A Mining Tenement - PROVIDED you have permission from the Tenement Holder
  • A Granted Exploration licence PROVIDED you have a Section 40E Permit  Permit.

These rules relating to gold prospecting and metal detecting permits are explained further in the metal detecting permit - gold prospecting regulations page

Miners Right Application

Here is how you get your Miners Right;

First - Print out the Application for a Miners Right which you can get from this Metal Detecting Permit or Miners Right Application form link - yep, I know its really a Miners Right link, but at least you now know the two terms are interchangeable! You must have a Miners Right In WA to go Metal Detecting for Gold.

That link takes you to the Department of Mines and Petroleum link to a PDF "Miner's Rights - Information Pamphlet" which includes the application at the back and the address to send the completed application and your $28.00 (as at July 2020) fee.

Another Way to Get Your Miners Right

You can also get your Miners Right by visiting the Perth Mines and Petroleum site at level 1, 100 Plain St East Perth or one of the Mining Registrar Offices scattered throughout Western Australia at the following towns.





Marble Bar


Mt Magnet

Norseman (Not always Open)

Southern Cross

Provided you visit during working hours the Miners Right will be issued during your visit, you just need to fill out the form, show some Identification and pay the current fee.

Make sure you visit the Dept of Mines and Petroleum Website and obtain the up to date information on miners rights.

We have only provided information in a brief form so you know what to do. 

Miners Rights for Overseas Visitors

Miners Rights in West Australia can be applied for by Overseas visitors who want to go metal detecting in WA.

If you send your identification to the Department of Mines In Perth with the appropriate details and identification (such as a copy of your passport information) and Payment by providing your credit card details they will send you out a Miners Right. 

I notice that the form has no email address to return the Miners Right to you so I suggest in your email you provide your email address and ask for the details or a digital copy of the miners right. 

Overseas Visitors can Pay for Miners Rights by Credit Card

The Miners Rights can be paid via credit card by providing Credit Card Details and the pamphlet below has the Miners Right Application form and email address you send the forms. 

Here is a link to the Miners Right Application Form,

Note this is extracted off the form as at 22/7/2019 which shows that the fee is $25 - BUT the fee is actually now $28.00 as at July 2020.

“Obtaining a Miner's Right. A Miner's Right can be obtained for a fee of  $28.00 at the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS), Mineral House, 100 Plain Street, East Perth, or at any Mining Registrar's office, upon presentation of proof of identity.”

I notice that the form has no email address to return the Miners Right so I suggest in your email to that you provide your email address and ask for the details or a copy of the Miners Right so you can use it on any Section 40e application if you are applying for one later.

What  About Mining in WA - What Permits are Required?

Types Of Mining Leases Information

Mining Minerals is different than just using  a Miners Right to go metal detecting or taking samples.

You must PEG a lease and depending on the Lease conditions - Exploration, Prospecting or Mining Tenements the State requires certain actions, forms,  conditions and expenditure from the person who pegs the land prior to being able to Mine minerals.

Here is a link to the page

Without fulfilling those conditions and gaining approval you cannot mine  any land in WA ....

The Miners rights enables you access to certain land to go prospecting and pegging leases  in WA as explained above BUT to Mine Minerals you must fulfil the condition of pegging leases (or in the case of and Exploration lease that can be done online).

That page is the Department of Mines (DMIRS) page and they are the people that define the rules and regulations for Prospecting and Mining in WA.

You should always refer to DMIRS if in doubt about any of the information relating to pegging leases. 

Return to Gold Prospecting home Page from metal detecting permit page.

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.